2016 marks the 10th anniversary of the school of Biosciences at UNMC
The school was established in 2006 as a centre of excellence in the provision of teaching and research in fundamental and applied sciences for the improvement of agriculture, food quality and safety, nutrition and environmental sustainability.
In the decade since the school was established, our programmes have grown from one to four undergraduate programmes, and a thriving postgraduate community pursuing both taught and research degrees. With a community of close to 300 students and staff, the school has gone from strength to strength and the graduates have embarked on successful careers.
We are proud to look back over a decade of making a difference to individuals, industries and communities. To celebrate our 10th anniversary in Malaysia, we are organising a series of events over the coming months culminating with a celebratory dinner in September. These include:
- A campaign on food waste awareness in partnership with UNMC youth chapter of junior chamber international (JCI)
- A green week campaign organised by Biosciences academic staff
- Public seminars and alumni talks at our Kuala Lumpur teaching centre
- BSN careers event organised by Biosciences students at Nottingham and careers advisory services
- A summer school, ‘Global food security’ organised jointly by the school of Biosciences in Malaysia and UK.
- Alumni and friends of Biosciences dinner to celebrate our history and look ahead to our future
The school will also be running a number of other events including competitions to celebrate the success of the students, and staff, the graduates and our industrial partners. The year-long celebration began in February with the school’s 10th anniversary tagline competition. The winner of the competition, our Nutrition degree student, Siti Hajar Hamzah, successfully captured the essence of the school with her winning tagline: 10 Years of Biosciences in Malaysia, Nurturing the Solutions of Tomorrow
In addition to educating the next generation of bioscientists, we have developed close ties with partners in the industry that enhance the societal impact of our research, which focuses on finding solutions to fundamental challenges of food, nutrition, health and environmental sustainability.
We look forward to sharing this very special occasion with all of our colleagues, students and industrial partners who have made our presence in Malaysia a great success!
Please visit UNMC’s Biosciences facebook to find out more about 10 Years of Biosciences in Malaysia.
Posted on 5th April 2016