NUBS Malaysia International Conference (NUBS iCON) 2020
Conference on Emerging Issues for Business and Economics in the 21st Century
With a Special Session/Track in collaboration with the Asia Pacific Journal of Management (APJM), and
With opportunities to publish in the International Journal of the Economics of Business (IJEB) and the Asia-Pacific Journal of Business Administration (APJBA)
Dates: 9-10 January 2020
Venue: University of Nottingham Teaching Centre, Level 2, Chulan Tower, No. 3 Jalan Conlay, 50450 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Submission and registration for the conference is now closed.
View the conference programme.
Nottingham University Business School (NUBS), University of Nottingham Malaysia is pleased to announce that it is organising an international conference (NUBS iCON 2020) on emerging issues for Business and Economics in the 21st century. The managing of businesses and economies today is more dynamic than ever due to many factors, be they the adoption of UN-Sustainable Development Goals (UN-SDGs), the increasing application of new technologies in business (Fourth Industrial revolution and Digital Technologies), or macroeconomic issues that affect the performance of business organisations. Given this, NUBS iCON 2020 invites scholars to present their research work related to business and economics in the Asia Pacific region.
We are pleased to announce the following journal collaboration and publication opportunities for NUBS iCON 2020:
* The APJM is published by Springer and indexed in Scopus. It is rated in the Australian Business Deans Council (ABDC) Journal Quality List in Tier A and also listed in the Chartered Association of Business Schools (ABS) Academic Journal Guide as Tier 3
** The IJEB is published by Taylor & Francis and indexed in Scopus and rated ABDC-B and ABS-2
*** The APJBA is published by Emerald and indexed in Scopus and rated ABDC-C
Datuk Dr Mohd Yusoff Sulaiman
President and Chief Executive Officer, Malaysian Industry-Government Group for High Technology (MIGHT)
Topic: Innovation, Sustainability and Industry 4.0: A Public-Private Perspective
Datuk Dr. Mohd Yusoff Sulaiman has been appointed as the President & Chief Executive Officer of the Malaysian Industry-Government Group for High Technology (MIGHT) since 2008. MIGHT is a partnership organisation under the purview of the Prime Minister’s Department. It focusses on the exploration of new and strategic technologies for business optimisation by utilising foresight and futures thinking methodology which is very vital in preparing Malaysia in facing the 4th Industrial Revolution (4IR).
He specialises in Technology Management and holds a PhD from Universiti Teknikal Melaka Malaysia (UTeM) and MSc from the University of Wales, United Kingdom. He is a member of the Governing Board of the Malaysian Foresight Institute (myForesight), Malaysia-France University Centre (MFUC) and the Regional Centre for Science and Technology Business Incubator (IRIS) appointed by UNESCO. He is also appointed Fellow of the ASEAN Academy of Engineering & Technology (AAET) and the Academy of Sciences Malaysia (ASM). Since 2014, he has been the Lead Representative for Malaysia in the Working Group on Innovation and Technology Policy (TIP) of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).
Prior to joining MIGHT, he was the Special Officer to the Minister of Entrepreneur Development where he provided strategic advice in mobility and transportation for the country. Datuk Dr Yusoff also sits as Director to the Board of Kulim Technology Park Corporation Sdn Bhd (KTPC), Aerospace Malaysia Innovation Centre (AMIC), and Melaka Green Tech Corporation (MGTC).
Datin Sunita Rajakumar
Founder, Climate Governance Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur
Topic: Governance of the Impending Climate Crisis - Roles and Responsibilities of Boards of Directors
Datin Sunita Rajakumar has been a professional independent director since 2008 and a strong advocate of the importance of governance in general and risk management in particular. She is founder of the Malaysia Chapter of the World Economic Forum’s Climate Governance Initiative, the first in Asia and second in the world, and is a member of the Global Advisory Board of Nottingham University’s School of Business. She is Chairperson of Bursa-listed Caring Pharmacy and an independent director of Dutch Lady Milk Industries, MCIS Insurance (a member of the Sanlam group) and Zurich General Insurance.
Her legal degree from the University of Bristol and professional qualification as a Chartered Accountant (England & Wales) led to a career in investment banking for six years. She was then invited by the Malaysian Ministry of Finance to manage the first government-owned foreign technology venture capital fund. She has also advised on national innovation ecosystems.
She is a staunch proponent of the importance of creativity and imagination in building cohesive societies and for individuals to fulfil their potential. She is the festival director of the annual city-wide DiverseCity: KL International Arts Festival, where multiple opportunities are provided to the lesser-privileged to participate in the performing arts. She also sits on the board of trustees of various charitable foundations.
Professor Chi-sum Wong
Editor-in-Chief, Asia Pacific Journal of Management
Professor, Department of Management, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Topic: Some Thoughts on the Paternalistic Leadership Concept
Prof. Chi-sum Wong was born in Hong Kong and graduated from the Faculty of Business Administration of The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK). He received his PhD from Department of Organisational Behaviour and Human Resources Management of Purdue University in the US. He joined the Department of Management of CUHK in 1990 and he is now a Professor.
Prof. Wong has published and presented more than two hundred articles in academic journals and international conferences. His co-authored article concerning employee trust in Chinese joint ventures published in 2002 was selected by Emerald Management Review as one of the best 50 management articles among the 20,000 articles published in the same year around the world, and another article on localisation of human resources in mainland China was selected as one of the five best papers in the international human resource management area in 2009 by the Academy of Management.
Prof. Wong has served the editorial board of various journals such as the Academy of Management Journal, International Journal of Business Studies, Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, Journal of World Business, and Asia Pacific Journal of Management.
Prof. Wong has conducted research for the United Nations Centre for Regional Development and the Employers’ Federation of Hong Kong, and has served as consultant and trainer for private organisations, the World Bank, and various Government and social agencies in the People’s Republic of China (PRC), Taiwan, Macau, and Hong Kong.
Registration form and fees
Note: Registration has closed
- Note: For group registrations of 3 or more from an organisation that are entitled to a special rate (see 'Fees' below), please do not use this registration link, please email firstname.lastname@example.org directly instead.
- Early Bird (by 15 November 2019): RM800 / USD200
- Full registration fee: RM1,000 / USD250
- Special rate for presenting authors with paper accepted to the APJM Special Session/Track: RM800 / USD200
- Special rates for
- Groups of 3 or more from an organisation: RM700/USD175 per person
- Research students: RM500/USD125
Note: Submission has closed.
Submissions to regular conference tracks:
- Extended abstracts and full papers must be original and have not been published or submitted / considered for publication elsewhere.
- Word limit
- Extended abstracts: Around 1,000 words (+/- 10%)
- Full papers: Between 8,000-10,000 words
- Extended abstracts should be organized around the following subsections: (i) introduction with central concerns or aims; (ii) methodology/approach adopted for the study; (iii) main findings; (iv) implications for theory and practice; (v) originality/value; (vi) five keywords.
- All extended abstracts / full papers should be submitted via email to the Conference Secretariat at email@example.com, in PDF or Microsoft Word format.
Submissions to the APJM Special Session/Track:
- Submissions must be in the form of full papers, in the format specified in the APJM Instructions for Authors.
- Full papers should be submitted via email to the Conference Secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org, in PDF or Microsoft Word format. Please state clearly in your email that your paper is intended to be submitted for the APJM Special Session/Track.
- Please note that submissions to the APJM Special Session/Track will not be eligible for consideration by IJEB or APJBA.
Submissions for consideration by IJEB:
- Submissions must be in the form of full papers, in the format specified in the IJEB Instructions for Authors.
- Full papers should be submitted via email to the Conference Secretariat at email@example.com, in PDF or Microsoft Word format. Please state clearly in your email that your paper is intended to be submitted for consideration by IJEB.
- Please note that submissions to the IJEB will not be eligible for the APJM Special Session/Track or for consideration by APJBA.
Submissions for consideration by APJBA:
- Submissions must be in the form of full papers, in the format specified in the APJBA Author Guidelines.
- Full papers should be submitted via email to the Conference Secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org, in PDF or Microsoft Word format. Please state clearly in your email that your paper is intended to be submitted for consideration by APJBA.
- Please note that submissions to the APJBA will not be eligible for the APJM Special Session/Track or for consideration by IJEB.
Extended abstracts/full papers for presentation at regular conference tracks:
|Extended abstract / full paper submission deadline
||15 November 2019
||25 November 2019
||30 October 2019
|Early Bird registration deadline
||15 November 2019
||10 December 2019
Full paper submissions for the APJM Special Session/Track:
|Full paper submission deadline
||15 November 2019
||25 November 2019
||30 October 2019
||10 December 2019
About Nottingham University Business School Malaysia
Nottingham University Business School (NUBS) Malaysia has had more than a decade's experience in providing international quality teaching and scholarship in various areas of business, management and finance, and is part of an elite global group of business schools accredited by the European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS) and Association of MBAs (AMBA). With campuses in the UK, China and Malaysia, Nottingham University Business School aims to enhance business and management knowledge and practices in a responsible and sustainable way through its global presence. Find out more about NUBS Malaysia at www.nottingham.edu.my/business