International students who enter Malaysia on a student visa have few opportunities to undertake paid employment.
Although technically there are some legal opportunities for students to work, however, the Malaysian Immigration Department has set the limitations for international students to undertake any form of paid employment whilst studying in Malaysia ─ see guidelines below.
- You are only allowed to work 20 hours per week during semester breaks only.
- If you are interested in undertaking employment at any stage during your studies, please consult the Student Visa Officer at the International Office.
- Under no circumstances should you undertake unofficial employment as this could result in your student visa being revoked.
Guidelines for part-time work
International students are allowed to work part-time, subject to the terms and conditions below.
For a maximum of 20 hours per week, International students are allowed to work on a part-time basis during:
International students with valid student pass are only permitted to work in 4 sectors such as:
- petrol kiosks
- mini markets
Application process for approval
1. International Students who intend to work part-time in Malaysia,must submit:
- Student's supporting letter - a valid reason to work part time
- a photocopy of their passport pages, including all pages
- address, email, and contact number
- Offer letter from the prospective employer - inclusive indication of working hours, salary and position
- Academic Calender
- Supporting letter from the Dean/Head of School
2. The application to work part-time must be submitted to the Immigration Department for approval.
3. Students will be interviewed, after which the application will be either approved/declined.
4. The passport of students whose application has been approved will be endorsed accordingly.
The Director General of Immigration Malaysia has the right to approve or reject any Non-Malaysian student's application to work under section 9 (1) (a) Immigration Act 1959/1963 Amendment 2002.
Please contact Visa Office for further clarification.
Tel : +6 03 8725 3704
Email : Abdul.Rahim@nottingham.edu.my
Hotline : +6 03 8725 3715