University of Nottingham Malaysia
International Student

Working in Malaysia

Student employment

International students who enter Malaysia on a student visa have few opportunities to undertake paid employment.

Although technically there are some legal opportunities for students to work, however, the Malaysian Immigration Department has set the limitations for international students to undertake any form of paid employment whilst studying in Malaysia ─ see guidelines below.

  • You are only allowed to work 20 hours per week during semester breaks only.
  • If you are interested in undertaking employment at any stage during your studies, please consult the Student Visa Officer at the International Office.
  • Under no circumstances should you undertake unofficial employment as this could result in your student visa being revoked.

Guidelines for part-time work

International students are allowed to work part-time, subject to the terms and conditions below.

For a maximum of 20 hours per week, International students are allowed to work on a part-time basis during:

    semester breaks only

International students with valid student pass are only permitted to work in 4 sectors such as:

  • restaurants
  • petrol kiosks
  • mini markets
  • hotels

Application process for approval

 1. International Students who intend to work part-time in Malaysia,must submit:

  • Student's supporting letter - a valid reason to work part time
  • a photocopy of their passport pages, including all pages
  • address, email, and contact number
  • Offer letter from the prospective employer - inclusive indication of working hours, salary and position
  • Academic Calender
  • Supporting letter from the Dean/Head of School

2. The application to work part-time must be submitted to the Immigration Department for approval.

3. Students will be interviewed, after which the application will be either approved/declined.

4. The passport of students whose application has been approved will be endorsed accordingly.

The Director General of Immigration Malaysia has the right to approve or reject any Non-Malaysian student's application to work under section 9 (1) (a) Immigration Act 1959/1963 Amendment 2002.

Please contact Visa Office for further clarification.

Tel : +6 03 8725 3704

Email :

Hotline : +6 03 8725 3715


The Immigration Department requires the University to forward the student's academic progress report every three months and report students who do not attend classes. The extension of the approval to work will only be given if the student maintains good academic achievement.

The University must be informed immediately of any change to employment.

For further information about working in Malaysia, please visit us at the Visa Office, Level 1, Block H, Student Services Centre or email at )

Bookmark and Share  

International Student Support

University of Nottingham
Jalan Broga, 43500 Semenyih
Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia

telephone: +6 (03) 8924 8778
fax: +6 (03) 8924 8005

Make an enquiry