Centre for Research in Educational Leadership and Management (CRELM)
The Centre for Research in Educational Leadership and Management (CRELM) in the School of Education is a leading centre for research in education.
It has a broad commitment to investigating all aspects of leadership and management in education, with a particular focus on research linked to the Malaysia Education Blueprint.
CRELM is led by Professor Tony Bush and convened by Dr Ashley Ng Yoon Mooi
Current and Recent Projects
- School leadership theories and the Malaysia Education Blueprint, funded by the Ministry of Education (FRGS) (Professor Tony Bush and Dr. Ashley Ng)
- Consultant to LeapEd for the development of instrument for evaluating and measuring student leadership in the Student Outcome Measurement Project (Dr Ashley Ng)
- Summer School Programme for the teachers from Sri Lanka (Dr Ashley Ng)
- Leadership development in Malaysia, funded by BELMAS (Dr Ashley Ng)
- Master teachers in Malaysia and Philippines (Professor Tony Bush and Dr Ashley Ng)
- School leadership in West Africa, funded by UNESCO (Professor Tony Bush and Dr Derek Glover)
- School leadership in South Africa, funded by the Zenex Foundation (Professor Tony Bush and Dr Derek Glover)
- Evaluation of Warwick-in-Africa, funded by University of Warwick (Professor Tony Bush)
- Twenty-year review of school improvement agencies in the Gauteng Department of Education, South Africa, funded by the GDE (Professor Tony Bush)
- Bush, T. (2015), ‘Organisational theory in education: How does it inform school leadership, Journal of Organizational Theory in Education, 1 (1): 35-47
- Bush, T. and Glover, D. (2014), ‘School leadership models: What do we know?’, School Leadership and Management, 34 (5): 553-571
- Bush, T. and Glover, D. (2016), ‘School leadership and management in South Africa: Findings from a systematic literature review’, International Journal of Educational Management, 30 (2): 216-231
- Bush, T. and Glover, D. (2016), ‘School leadership in West Africa: Findings from a systematic literature review’, Africa Education Review
- Bush, T., Glover, D., Ng, A. and Romero, M.J. (2016), ‘Master teachers as teacher leaders: Evidence from Malaysia and the Philippines, International Studies in Educational Administration, 43 (2): 81-102
- Kaparou, M. and Bush, T. (2015), ‘Instructional leadership in centralized systems: Evidence from Greek high performing secondary schools, School Leadership and Management, DOI: 10.1080/13632434.2015.1041489
- Kaparou, M. and Bush, T. (2016), ‘Instructional leadership in Greek and English Outstanding Schools’, International Journal of Educational Management
CRELM welcomes applications from students wishing to embark on doctoral study, under the supervision of Professor Tony Bush, Dr. Ashley Ng and Dr. Phil Whitehead.
Proposals relating to all aspects of school leadership are welcome, especially those focusing on school leadership theory, instructional leadership, leadership development and international school leadership.
Current UNMC Research Students
- Sarah Xue Shan
- Vahid Javadi
- Josephine Chay
- Lam Chee Fong
- Deepa Kumari Veerasingam
- Sabrina Koh
- Asmah Noor