Opening Bank Account
How do I open a Bank Account?
To open a bank account in Malaysia you will need the following:
- Original Passport, with a student pass
- The “Letter of Opening a Bank Account” issued by the International Student Support to confirm your status as a student in Malaysia
- Offer letter- issued by Student Registry as proof of enrolment in the university
- The EMGS approval letter – issued by Visa Office
- A copy of E-Val issued by the Malaysian Immigration
- Minimum deposit: Must be in Malaysian Ringgit (MYR) – RM250 – RM300
- For students below 18 years old, parents to sign the indemnity form which will be provided by the bank upon opening a new bank account. Documents required are Indemnity Form and Parent’s passport photocopy. ( subject to bank requirement)
Important Note :
- A minimum waiting period of 1-2 months.
- Advisable to bring sufficient cash until the bank account is successfully opened.
- Ensure that Malaysian currency is obtained before entering Malaysia or change at the airport upon arrival
- Without a Student Visa, you can open an account only with Affin Bank.
- With a Student Visa, you can open an account with Maybank or CIMB.
For further information please contact:
Ms. Rita Vengidesan, International Student Support Officer