University of Nottingham Malaysia
University of Nottingham

Information and FAQs for new students

The COVID-19 situation in Malaysia and globally changes rapidly and governments around the world have put in stringent policies to control the spread of the virus. Many policies are introduced rapidly without much warning. This webpage will be updated weekly where possible but we will continue to send out emails to both new and continuing students to update them on any significant changes in policy. Please check your inboxes regularly during this period.

Students who are currently residing in Malaysia

How will my course be delivered - teaching and learning
Q. What is the teaching method for September 2021 Intake?

Taking into account the current Covid-19 situation in Malaysia and after careful consideration, UNM has decided to conduct all teaching and learning activities for the new academic year starting in September 2021 online until it is safe for us to resume teaching activities on campus. This approach enables students to proceed with their studies as planned. The University will communicate with students at a later date, on the blended teaching approach once we are able to resume physical classes on campus. In the event of any changes, the University will inform students accordingly. Our priority is the safety and wellbeing of our students and staff.

Students who are having internet access problem, connectivity issue or non-conducive learning environment can apply to study online from campus. Once you begin the online registration, the Student Registry Office will provide you a form that you must complete to help us to plan and support your learning accordingly. If you do not complete the form, we will assume that you will continue studying online at home.

Q. What will be done for students if a last-minute decision to extend the closure of the campus is taken that forces students to do their courses online ?
The extension of any closure of the campus will be a directive from the goverment which UNM will have to comply with. Therefore, if there is an extension of closure, the classes will continue to be delivered online or as advised by UNM.


What to know about traveling to campus and campus accommodation?
Q. When can I come to campus?

For now, only students who plan to stay on campus and study online can start arriving to campus for the start of the new academic year. The University will inform students as to when they can start returning to campus. This will be organised in a phased approach to ensure that we follow the necessaary SOPs.

For international students, this is subject to your visas being processed by the Malaysian Immigration Department and following the SOPs upon arrival, including the (14) days mandatory quarantine requirements. A further (1) week quarantine may be imposed subject to risk assessment carried out at the quarantine centre by health officers. For more information, please contact the International Student Support Team.

Q. I am an international student now staying within Malaysia, can I travel to campus?


This will depend on where you are now and whether there are any prevailing travel guidelines, e.g. inter-district or interstate travel restrictions. Please contact the International Student Support for further details.

International support 

Q. How should I make my way/travel to the campus from within Malaysia?

All returnees, including international students residing in Malaysia, are expected to travel to campus via your own transportation (and obtaining relevant approval/documentation to facilitate travelling, if necessary). You are then allowed to drive into the campus.

Those arriving using public transportation, e.g. taxis or e-hailing vehicles will need to disembark at Guardhouse 1 (GH1) main entrance. Please avoid using the University's shuttle buses (if available) if you are travelling from states/areas as identified by the Malaysian authorities (Phase 1, 2 and 3 of National Recovery Plan [NRP])

Q. Can I return to my own reserved room or must I stay in a self-isolation room first?

On-campus students returning from states/areas as identified by the Malaysian authorities (Phase 1, 2 and 3 of National Recovery Plan (NRP) are required to self-isolate for 10 days in on-campus accommodation rooms assigned for isolation purposes.

Such arrangements are provided by the University at no extra charge. All student residents returning to campus from these areas must stay in the first 10 days in campus provided self-isolation rooms. Those returning from “safer zones” as defined by the relevant authorities are allowed to return to their own reserved rooms.

Q. My programme is going to take place in KLTC, not the main campus in Semenyih. What is the plan for students who plan to live in the city centre?

For full time and part time students, during the NRP phase 1 period, all classes will be done online until it is safe to resume on-campus teaching and learning activities. When we return to campus, we will then adopt the blended learning approach. For students in KLTC you will follow the same study mode as students on campus.

If you are staying on our main campus and are a full time student, you will need to write to us separately if you want to arrange for a drop off to KL as the current drop off points after quarantine, are only to campus, UniVillage and Taman Tasik Semenyih.

Q. I am currently residing in Malaysia but not on campus - what do I do to organise my return to campus accommodation?

Malaysian students returning to on-campus accommodation are requested to please notify the Accommodation Office on your arrival and check-in date.
More information on the 10 day self-isolation arrangements will be provided by accommodation accordingly.


For further information on accommodation arrangements, self isolation policies on campus and the latest SOP's  please visit the accommodation website


International students currently residing outside of Malaysia

Arriving in Malaysia - quarantine and other requirements 
Q. When will international students commence their studies in Malaysia?
The Ministry of Higher Education allows all new international students from all countries to return to campus physically (except students from the United Kingdom, India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Nepal and Sri Lanka). However, all classes are currently delivered online until further notice.
Q. Will students from the 23 banned countries now be able to return to Malaysia?
Yes, except the United Kingdom, India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Nepal and Sri Lanka.
Q. For students who have already been vaccinated/immunized, would they still need to quarantine in a facility after landing in Malaysia?


All students from abroad are required to undergo compulsory quarantine at the designated quarantine centres.

Q. How long is the quarantine period and what is the RM2600 for?
All students are subjected to a compulsory quarantine period of 14 days and can be extended to 21 days (7 days extension), depending on the risk assessment conducted on the student on the 14th day of the quarantine. RM2600 is the fixed operatiom cost of the quarantine centre.
Q. I understand that online payment is required for Covid-19 detection test charges and quarantine cost before leaving Malaysia. To whom do we have to pay and how much?

Effective 23 June 2021, the cost of quarantine for 14 days is estimated to RM5,070:

Fixed fee of quarantine centre operation cost = RM2600
Quarantine accommodation cost (RM150 x 14 days) = RM2100
Covid-19 screening test (PCR) = RM250 PTK Ag = RM 120
* If the quarantine is extended to 21 days, students will need to top up the accommodation cost.

Below are steps to make payment for COVID-19 screening test and quarantine charges:

Go to MySafeTravel or MyQr Application system by MyEG and provide the payment slips at International Entry Point.

Q. How do we apply for the quarantine centre? Can we apply through the University?
The quarantine centre will be assigned by the Ministry of Health. Students do not have the option to choose.
Q. Is the quarantine cost inclusive of meals?
Yes, 3 meals will be provided - breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Q.   I have dietary restrictions e.g. lacto/vegetarian. Would appropriate food be arranged for me during quarantine?
You will need to indicate your food preference in a form that will be provided to you on arrival into the quarantine centre. 
Q. The quarantine fees as well are extremely high, can something be done to help us?

The quarantine fees are fixed and charged by the government. However, if you are facing any financial difficulties you may want to apply for a hardship fund which you can apply online.

Hardship fund

Fees and scholarship

Q. Can a family member travel with me? Will they be allowed to be quarantined in the same room as me?
Only students are allowed. Under current regulations, all dependent pass holders are not allowed to enter Malaysia.
Q. Can I choose not to travel since dependents aren’t allowed to accompany me?
This will depend on the course you are taking. If the course allows for an online study option, than you may consider to stay back; alternatively if it doesn’t, you will need to make arrangements to come to the University.
Q. For the PCR test taken 3 days before the flight, should it be 72 hours before take-off or 72 hours before landing in Malaysia?

Students are required to undergo COVID-19 screening test three (3) days before departure to Malaysia and the test report must be shown to the officer on duty at the International Entry Point upon arrival.

COVID-19 screening test results exceeding three (3) days before departure are invalid.Students will be required to undergo the COVID-19 screening test again at the International Entry Point and compulsory quarantine for 14 days at the designated quarantine station.

Q. Where do we find out the list of verified clinics where we can do PCR at in our countries?
We would suggest that you check with your respective Ministry of Health.
Q. Other than PCR test, do new students have to do regular medical screening like before?
Yes. You will need to undergo the post-arrival medical screening at an EMGS panel clinic within 7 days after being discharged from the quarantine centre.
Q. One email states that there is an isolation room provided by the university upon our arrival, and another email states that we have to inform the University on our isolation centre and our checkout date so they can pick us up. Could you please clarify?

International students arriving in Malaysia are required to undergo quarantine at quarantine centres designated by the Malaysian authorities. You will travel to the quarantine centre directly from the airport. Such arrangements are payable by the student as described in Q4 above.

International students who have completed their quarantine, will then be transferred to campus with the University's shuttle services. Please inform our International Student Support team which quarantine centre or hotel you have been allocated; and do keep us posted on your quarantine process.

International support 

Q. Will the university arrange for transportation from the airport to the quarantine  centre and once the quarantine period is complete will the university arrange travel to campus?

Transfer from the airport to quarantine centres is arranged by the government.

The University will arrange pickup for students from the quarantine centre to the campus area only. However the pickup arrangement is not appilicable during phase 1 of the National Recovery Plan (NRP). If you are travelling to Malaysia during this period, you will need to make self-arrangements from the quarantine centre to your accommodation. Please keep the International Student Support team posted once you arrive at the quarantine centre and regular updates will be provided.

Q. If the quarantine period ends on the weekend, will university still pick me up?

Yes, that can be arranged as long as you inform us in advance.

Note: Pickup arrangement is not appilicable during phase 1 of the National Recovery Plan (NRP). If you are travelling to Malaysia during this period, you will than need to make self-arrangements from the quarantine centre to your accommodation.

Q. Can we leave the quarantine centre on our own afterward?

No, the University will pick you up from the quarantine center. 

Note: Pickup arrangement is not available during phase 1 of the National Recovery Plan (NRP). If you are travelling to Malaysia during this period, you will than need to make self-arrangements from the quarantine centre to your accommodation.

Q. Is there a Wi-Fi facility available at the quarantine centre so I can attend my classes online?
 Preparing to come to campus - accommodation and other questions
Q. I received an email requesting to update the authorities on my student accommodation address in order to process my VAL. Which address do I need to provide? 

This will be your accommodation address you are going to stay in, either on campus or off campus whichever you have booked. If you have booked university accommodation on campus please inform us. If you have booked off-campus (private) accommodation, we will need to verify your booking to prepare a declaration form to accommodation in order to process your VAL application.

Please contact the Visa Office once you have booked your accommodation.

New students: new/variation/progression

Returning students: visa renewals

Q. I paid for accommodation last semester, but I haven't arrived on campus yet. Can the payment be brought forward to secure future payment?

Yes, you  may write to Accommodation Office and they will assist you accordingly. 


Q. As new international student, I don’t know how long it will take to get my visa. Do I still need to apply for accommodation in advance?

You can discuss this matter with the visa office and also discuss with our Accommodation Office on the options available in such situations.

New students: new/variation/progression

Returning students: visa renewals


Q. I am a new student. When should I book my accommodation?

If you are planning to arrive by next month, please check on the availability of the rooms with our Accomodation Office. 


Q.  Can I provide the address of my relatives in Malaysia with whom I’ll be staying after quarantine and while studying at UNM? Or is it compulsory for us to stay in on-campus accommodation?
Ideally, we would recommend all new students to stay in our on-campus accommodation for the purpose of acclimatisation while being new in Malaysia as advised by the Ministry of Higher Education. However, you are allowed to stay with your relatives if you wish to.
For further information on accommodation arrangements, self isolation policies on campus and the latest SOP's  please visit the accommodation website
Student visa FAQ's  for new international students 

VAL - Visa approval letter

TA - Travel authorisation

SEV - Single entry visa

i-Kad - Immigration card is issued once student pass is endorsed onto your passport

TE - Transfer endorsement, transfer old visa sticker from old to new passport 

Q. My VAL is still at 32% progress for the last couple of months. What needs be done to get it approved?

Please contact Visa Office in the first instance. If your country is not listed in travel ban countries, you are allowed to enter Malaysia. If you wish to study with us, please contact Visa office.

Recently the Malaysian government has issued a directive to allow all foreign students to enter Malaysia except UK, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Nepal. Presently, the immigration department requires two (2) additional documents to be submitted in order to process VAL applications. These documents are:

  1. Declaration of accommodation - this to be filled by students and verified by Accommodation Office
  2. Declaration for commencement of online classes - This will be given and verified by the respective faculty.

Once signed and please send to EMGS, your application will be submitted to immigration department for VAL approval. VAL approval is at the discretion of the immigration department.

Q. How can I apply for travel authorisation (TA) as stated in the EMGS guidelines since my VAL is not issued? Do I need to provide any additional documents to support the application?
No further actions are required, your TA will be issued simultaneously once your VAL is approved and uploaded via EMGS
Q. I am a 15-year-old student, is it possible for my mother to travel with me to Malaysia so that she can accompany me while I study? How do I apply for a visa for her?
No, the immigration department does not allow for any dependents to enter Malaysia until further notice.
Q. As a new student, can I continue to study online for my second semester even after my VAL is issued? I plan to enter Malaysia in January 2022 for my second semester with VAL.

All VALs and TA are valid for six (6) months from the date of issuance of the immigration department. Any student who fails to enter before their VAL (if SEV applicable) expires may not be allowed to enter.

  1. Their VAL will be send to immigration department for extension for time being.
  2. Since the border is open, ideally all students are encouraged to return to campus to resume their online studies as per the directives issued.
Q. My VAL has expired, what can be done to get this extended, in order for me to enter and resume my studies?

All expired VAL’s will be extended by immigration department given the fact the borders were closed due to the Covid-19 pandemic last year. 

Q. My passport validity is less than 18 months now, can my VAL be approved and can I renew my passport after arriving Malaysia?
All passport must be valid 18 months above when submitted to the Iimigration department for VAL approval. Any passport having less than 18 months validity period may not be processed for VAL approval. Therefore, you are required to renew your passport and send scanned copies of the new passport to visa office immediately.
Q. I am holding a British (UK) passport and have been living in Singapore since January 2020. I have not travelled to UK for the year can my VAL be approved? 
Immigration department has issued a directive that all British passport holders applying for VAL will not be approved (place on hold) so this applies to all British passport holders wherever they are located.
Q. I have given my accommodation details for staying in Malaysia to the visa office, how long do I have to wait for my VAL to be approved? 
The immigration department takes around 7 to 10 working days to approve your VAL from the date they receive the application from EMGS. The timeline depends on the availability of the senior officers for approval processes. Alll VAL approval is at the discretion of immigration department.  
Q. I am a year 1 student. I have completed semester one online and am coming to Malaysia to start semester two, am I considered as new student? 

Yes, you are considered as new student. Any student who have not received a student pass (visa sticker) endorsement in their passport are considered as new student. This includes those who have previously obtained VALs that have now expired.

Q. Once I receive my VAL, is it compulsory to travel from my home country or can I travel from a different country too? I'm from India but currently I'm going to be in UAE for few months. What can I do in such a situation?

It is adviced to stay in India until your VAL is issued and apply for SEV to enter Malaysia. Should you opt to travel to UAE, this can complicate your travel plans to Malaysia as you are NOT allowed to apply SEV in UAE as the VAL is approved and addressed to India. If you still insist of travelling from UAE, then you must do the following:

  1. Officially write to the Visa Office for the change of SEV from India to the UAE.
  2. The Visa Office will have to cancel your SEV letter through EMGS (which may take around 3 weeks) before securing a new SEV from the Immigration Department referring to UAE Malaysian mission. Upon approval, you will be allowed to enter officially with a TA.
Q. I’m a new student and have not received my student i-Kad. Would that be a problem with regards to my entry at KLIA? 
All new students will not have their i-Kad issued at this point of time before VALs are approved and issued. The process of acquiring an i-Kad will only take place when a student enters Malaysia, perform their post-medical at the appointed EMGS clinic and clear their medical check-up, submission of passport to EMGS and Immigration Department for student pass endorsement. Once immigration issues your student pass, your i-Kad will be automatically processed and released within 3 to 4 weeks.
Q. I am a foundation student and have just completed my studies. I do not have my VAL and student pass endorsed in my passport, will this have an impact for my undergraduate studies in September 2021? 

EMGS reports to Ministry of Higher Education in which is responsible for all students studying in Malaysia. Therefore, all student applications must be vetted carefully before EMGS issues ‘EMGS Approval Letter’ to students. This letter proves as a testament that you have fulfilled your academic requirements to study with us.

Once you have this letter, you will be able to obtain your VAL for your undergraduate programme in September 2021. As for iImmigration formality procedure, we need to cancel your current foundation VAL and re-apply for your undergraduate study VAL as part of immigration requirements. Additionally, you will be required to pay a fee of RM2660 for your undergraduate VAL.


University of Nottingham Malaysia

Jalan Broga, 43500 Semenyih
Selangor Darul Ehsan

General Enquiry
telephone: +6 03 8924 8000
fax: +6 03 8924 8001 (Malaysia)/8005 (International)

Course Enquiry
telephone: +6 03 8924 8686
Make an enquiry