University of Nottingham Malaysia
University of Nottingham

Information and FAQs for existing/progressing students

The COVID-19 situation in Malaysia and globally changes rapidly and governments around the world have put in stringent policies to control the spread of the virus. Many policies are introduced rapidly without much warning. This webpage will be updated weekly where possible but we will continue to send out emails to both new and continuing students to update them on any significant changes in policy. Please check your inboxes regularly during this period.

Students who are currently residing in Malaysia

How will my course be delivered - Teaching and Learning
Q. When can I come to campus and can I choose to study fully online?

Based on the latest directives by the Ministry of Higher Education, students are allowed to continue to study online. However, the directives mention that with the approval of the National Security Council, the following categories of student who need to be physically present in the campus are allowed to return to campus as early as 1 March 2021:

  1. Students from Certificate, Diploma, Bachelor’s Degree and Postgraduate study programmes who need practical, laboratory, clinical, studios, workshops and special equipment;
  2. Students who do not have access and environment are not conducive to study online;
  3. Foundation students (or equivalent) who are on campus are allowed to proceed with blended  teaching and learning.
  4. All existing and new international students except from the United Kingdom;
  5. Students with Special Needs, and
  6. Students who sit for the Malaysia University English Test (MUET), international and professional bodies’ examinations.


In line with category 1 above and having reviewed the delivery requirements of the various programmes, its learning outcomes, the need for face-to-face teaching as mandated by the relevant professional bodies and the need to use the labs and equipment on campus, all non-final year undergraduates from the under listed courses (undergraduate), final year students requiring laboratory for their final year projects, post-graduate taught students and from the following schools/departments will have to return to campus in March to complete their studies:

  • Master of Pharmacy (Years 1 and 2)
  • Bachelor / Master of Engineering (Civil Engineering) (Year 1 and 2, surveying, lab-based, workshop training)
  • Bachelor / Master of Engineering (Electrical and Electronic Engineering) (Year 1 and 2, workshop training, projects)
  • Bachelor / Master of Engineering (Mechanical, Materials and Manufacturing Engineering) (Year 1 and 3, workshop training, projects)
  • All final year students requiring laboratory or practicals in their final year projects

If you fall within the above stated category but are still unable to travel to campus to complete your learning activities, you are advised to consider the option of voluntary interruption of your studies for this semester. Do inform us if this is something you are considering by completing the form here.

Request to Interrupt Study Form

To allow students to seek further clarification, the Faculty of Science and Engineering (FOSE) will be organising a town hall for their students this week to provide further clarification on the above and answer any further questions you may have in helping you make your decision. The Faculty will inform you of the date and time of the town hall shortly.

For all other programmes, you are advised to study online as given in the directives, however, if you face problems with access to the Internet and if your environment you are in is not conducive, you are allowed to return to campus. Please fill in the relevant form below to let us know if you are studying online or if you wish to return to campus.

Please complete the relevant form using the correct link as shown below so that we know your plans:

Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
Faculty of Science and Engineering

Q. What will happen during 2021 in terms of exams and assessments? 
The University has decided that the approach for Spring 2021, Summer 2021 and re-sit assessments in 2021 will be online for our foundation, undergraduate and postgraduate students. The Exams Office will be writing to you shortly with detailed information regarding the upcoming assessments. 

Students who need to do any of their assessments in-person because they need access to labs or equipment, your school will be in touch directly to communicate how they intend to carry out these assessments. If you have any questions, you can contact your personal tutors or the Exams Office.  

Extenuating circumstances

All of our efforts are concerned with enabling you to do your best work, to ensure you are assessed fairly and that you achieve the outcomes you deserve. 

We fully recognise the impact of the pandemic and government restrictions upon students’ mental health and wellbeing. In spring last year, we introduced a new extenuating circumstances policy. This policy has been extended into the current academic year 2021, and continues to consider the student’s own account of impact and keep any requirements for evidence to a minimum. This enables the University to respond to specific phases of the pandemic and problems and needs of students. We encourage you to apply for extenuating circumstances if you are experiencing difficulties. This means we can offer you the individualised support that you need.
Q. What will be done for students if a last-minute decision to extend MCO is taken that forces students to do their courses online after 1st March?
The extension of MCO will be a directive from the Ministry which the University will have to comply with. Therefore, if there is an extension of MCO, the classes will continue to be delivered online or as advised by the University. 


What to know about traveling to campus and campus accommodation
Q. When can I come to campus?

The University will begin to receive Malaysian students back to the on-campus accommodation beginning 15 February 2021 and in stages.

Please notify the Accommodation Office the date you wish to return to campus by using this link here.

Accomodation form

Postgraduate research students have the flexibility to decide on the date they plan to return to campus. 

Please note that students travelling from CMCO/MCO areas are required to return to campus at least 10 days earlier to undergo self-isolation on campus.

Q. I am an international student now staying within Malaysia, can I travel to campus?


This will however depend on where you are now and whether there are any prevailing travel guidelines, e.g. inter-district or interstate travel restrictions.  Please contact the International Student Support team at for further details.

International Support 

Q. How should I make my way/travel to the campus from within Malaysia?
All returnees, including international students residing in Malaysia, are expected to travel to campus via your own transportation (and obtaining relevant approval/documentation to facilitate travelling, if necessary). You are then allowed to drive into the campus. Those arriving using public transportation, eg. taxis or e-hailing vehicles will need to disembark at guardhouse 1 (GH1) main entrance. Please avoid using the University's shuttle buses (if available) if you are travelling from red zones.  
Q. Can I return to my own reserved room or must I stay in a self-isolation room first?
Students travelling from MCO areas within Malaysia are required to undergo self-isolation in on-campus accommodation rooms assigned for isolation purposes. Such arrangements are provided by the University at no extra charge. All student residents returning to campus from these areas must first stay for 10 days in campus provided self-isolation rooms. Those returning from “safer zones” as defined by the relevant authorities are allowed to return to their own reserved rooms.
Q. My program is going to take place in KLTC, not the main campus in Semenyih. What is the plan for students who plan to live in the city centre?
For full time students and part time students, during the MCO period, all classes will be done online and once the MCO is lifted, we will go back to hybrid learning (from 1 March 2021). So, for students in KLTC you will follow the same study mode as students on campus. If you are staying on our main campus and are a full time student, you will need to write to us separately if you want to arrange for a drop off to KL as the current drop off points after quarantine, are only to campus, UV and TTS. 
Q. I am currently residing in Malaysia but not on campus - what do I do to organise my return to campus accommodation?

Malaysian students returning to on-campus accommodation are requested to please notify the Accommodation Office of your arrival and check-in date here.
More information on the 10 day self-isolation arrangements will be provided by the Accommodation Office accordingly.

Accommodation Office

For further information on accommodation arrangements, self isolation policies on campus and the latest SOP's  please visit the accommodation website


International Students currently residing outside of Malaysia

Arriving in Malaysia - Quarantine and other requirements 
Q. When will international students commence their studies in Malaysia?
The Ministry of Higher Education currently allows all existing and new international students from all countries, except the United Kingdom, to return to campus physically. This began on January 2021.
Q. Will students from the 23 banned countries now be able to return to Malaysia?
Yes, the only country currently under the ban list is the UK.
Q. For students who have already been vaccinated/immunized, would they still need to quarantine in a facility after landing in Malaysia?


All students from abroad are required to undergo compulsory quarantine at the designated Quarantine Centres. 

Q. How long is the quarantine period and what is the RM2,600 for?
All students from abroad are required to undergo compulsory quarantine at the designated Quarantine Centre, which is for seven (7) days for international students who show the current RT-PCR COVID-19 test report at International Entry Point and for ten (10) days for those who do not bring along the RT-PCR COVID-19 report. COVID-19 Screening Test results exceeding three (3) days before the departure date are invalid. The RM2600 is the cost for the Operation of the quarantine centre.
Q. I understand that online payment is required for Covid-19 detection test charges and quarantine cost before leaving Malaysia. To whom do we have to pay? and exactly how much?

Payment breakdown current advised by the Malaysian government is as follows:

Cost for 7-day quarantine (with RT-PCR Test Result) = RM2,600 + RM1,050 = RM3,650 + RM370 = RM 4,020

Total Cost for 10-day quarantine (without RT-PCR Test Result) = RM2,600 + RM1,500 = RM4,100 + RM370 = RM 4,470

To make payment for COVID-19 screening test and quarantine payment please visit (MySafeTravel) and provide the payment slips at the International Entry Point.

Q. How do we apply for the quarantine centre? Can we apply through the university?
The quarantine centre will be assigned by the Ministry of Health. Students do not have the option to choose.
Q. Is the quarantine cost inclusive of meals?
Yes, 3 meals a day.
Q.   I have dietary restrictions e.g. lacto/vegetarian. Would appropriate food be arranged for me during quarantine?
You will need to indicate your food preference in a form that will be provided to you on arrival into the quarantine centre. 
Q. Having had almost the entire year online, and paid more fees as an international, why aren't there any fee reductions? The additional quarantine expenses are extremely high, can something be done to help us?

The University is continually providing the learning outcome for all students and there is an option to return to campus, therefore the University will not be able to give any fee reductions. However, if you are facing any financial difficulties you may want to apply for a hardship fund which you can apply online at our website. You may refer to the fees and scholarship section on our website. The quarantine fees charged are by the government and these are fixed.

Hardship fund


Q. Can a family member travel with me? Will they be allowed to be quarantined in the same room as me?
Only students are allowed. Under current regulations all Dependent Pass holders are not allowed to enter Malaysia. 
Q. Can I choose not to travel since dependents aren’t allowed to accompany me?
This will depend on the course you are taking. If the course allows for a full online study option than you may consider to stay back but if it does not allow than you will need to look at arrangements on coming back.
Q. For the PCR test taken 3 days before the flight, should it be 72 hours before take-off or 72 hours before landing in Malaysia?
Students are required to undergo COVID-19 screening test three (3) days before the departure date to Malaysia and the test report must be shown to the officer on duty at the International Entry Point upon arrival. COVID-19 Screening Test results exceeding three (3) days before the departure date are invalid. Students must than undergo the COVID-19 Screening Test again at the International Entry Point and undergo compulsory quarantine for ten (10) days at the designated quarantine station.
Q. Where do we find out the list of verified clinics where we can do PCR at in our countries?
We would suggest that you check with your respective Ministry of Health.
Q. Other than PCR test, do new students have to do regular medical screening like before?
New students will need to do the standard medical health screening once they are released from the quarantine centre and have returned to campus.
Q. One email states that there is an isolation room provided by the university upon our arrival, and another email states that we have to inform the University on our isolation centre and our checkout date so they can pick us up. Could you please clarify?

International students arriving in Malaysia are required to undergo quarantine at Quarantine Centres designated by the Malaysian authorities. You will travel to the Quarantine Centre directly from the airport. Such arrangements are payable by the student as described in Q4 above. International students who have completed their quarantine there, will then be transferred to UNM campus using UNM provided transportation. International students can inform us via on which Quarantine Centre or hotel you have been allocated to and keep us updated on your quarantine process.

International Support 

Q. Will the university arrange for transportation from the airport to the quarantine  centre and once the quarantine period is complete will the university arrange travel to campus?
Transfer from the airport to quarantine centres is arranged by the government. The University will arrange pickup for students from the quarantine centre to the campus area only.       
Q. If the quarantine period ends on the weekend, will university still pick me up?
Yes, that can be arranged as long as you inform us in advance. We would suggest that you inform us once you reach Malaysia as required.
Q. Can we leave the quarantine centre on our own afterward?
No, all pick-ups for students coming from overseas will be arranged by the University.
Q. Is there a Wi-Fi facility available at the quarantine centre so I can attend my classes online?
As we understand, all centres have Wi-Fi facilities.
 Preparing to come to campus - accommodation and other questions
Q. I have received an email requesting I advise the authorities on my student accommodation address in order to process my VAL. What address do I need to provide? 

This will be your accommodation address you are going to stay in, either on campus or off campus whichever you have booked. If you have booked university accommodation on campus please inform us. If you have booked off-campus (private) accommodation we will also need to verify this booking so that we can produce the declaration form for accommodation to progress your VAL application.

Please contact the Visa office once you have booked your accommodation.

New Students: New/Variation/Progression

Returning Students: Visa Renewals

Q. I paid the money for accommodation last semester, but I haven't arrived on campus yet. Can I push forward the accommodation charge to cover a future payment?

Yes, you  may write to our Accommodation Office and they will assist you accordingly. 

Accommodation Office

Q. As new international student, I don’t know how long it will take to get my visa. Do I still need to apply for accommodation in advance?

You can discuss this matter with the Visa office and also discuss with our Accommodation Office on the options available in such situations.

New Students: New/Variation/Progression

Returning Students: Visa Renewals

Accommodation Office

Q. I am returning from overseas. When should I book my accommodation?

You may write to the Accommodation Office to check on the availability of the rooms. If you are planning to arrive within the next month please do make arrangements with the Accommodation Office directly.

Accommodation Office

Q.  Can I provide the address of my relatives in Malaysia with whom I’ll be staying after quarantine and while studying at UNM? Or is it compulsory for us to stay in on-campus accommodation?
Ideally, we would recommend all new students to stay in our on-campus accommodation for the purpose of acclimatisation while being new in Malaysia as per ruling by Ministry of Higher Education. However, you are allowed to stay with your relatives  if you wish to. 
For further information on accommodation arrangements, self isolation policies on campus and the latest SOP's  please visit the accommodation website
Student VISA FAQ's for PROGRESSING/RETURNING international students 

VAL = Visa Approval Letter

TA = Travel Authorisation

SEV = Single Entry Visa

i-Kad = Immigration Card is issued once student pass is endorsed onto your passport

TE = Transfer Endorsement, transfer old visa sticker from old to new passport 

Q. I obtained my Travel Authorisation (TA) approval in September 2020. Can I use the same TA now to enter?

Yes, the TA letter has no validity period, you may use the same TA letter to proceed to get clearance from our nearest mission in your country or country of residence. Please follow the EMGS SOP provided earlier.

Q. I have applied for TA but do not wish to enter Malaysia now, will that have an effect to my Student Pass (visa) given it expired last year while pursuing my studies online?
All visa renewals must be submitted to EMGS to process, this is to prove you are continuously and consistently renewing your visa as part of the ministry requirements. Failure to prove this record may lead to other complications at a later stage.
Q. My i-Kad has expired, will I be allowed to enter since my student visa is still valid.

No. You must renew your i-Kad on yearly basis despite your visa is issued for full duration of studies. There is a high possibility that the  Immigration officers may request this as proof upon your arrival at KLIA. If you have not renewed your i-Kad, please email immediately, the team will assist you with this. Any student who fails to renew your i-Kad will have their student pass revoked by the Immigration Department.

Returning Students: Visa Renewals

Q. What is the timeline from applying for Travel Authorization until I get a permission to enter?
The whole process would normally take approximately 21 days depending on the Immigration Department. Once approved, you will be notified by the Immigration Department.
Q. If I have a new passport, do I need to key in the number of the new passport or the old passport  for Travel Authorization application at EMGS?

You need to key in your old passport number. Please scan and send to us the full copy of your new passport (all pages). We will send and amend it to EMGS for them to update onto their system. Ensure you travel with both passports (old and new), once you have arrived, after completing the quarantine period, please come to the Visa Office and submit your passport. You will need to go through a process called Transfer Endorsement (TE). We will transfer your old Student Pass (visa sticker) from old passport to the new passport. You can then officially use new passport in Malaysia.

Q. My previous TA was rejected because I was from one of the 23 banned countries. How can I re-apply for a new TA?
Please inform Visa Office so that the Renewal team can assist you accordingly to liaise with EMGS to allow you to re-apply for a new TA in the system. 
Q. My student pass expired last year in June but my passport is still valid, can I enter with the expired visa?
Yes, you need to submit your renewal application through the Visa Office immediately. Our Renewal team will make the necessary arrangements to submit to EMGS. Once it is supported, you may apply for TA and enter Malaysia, please ensure you get a Single Entry Visa (if applicable) and clearance (Permission To Enter) from our nearest mission in your country.
Q. My student visa expired in Nov 2020. If I come back to Malaysia and renew my visa, how long will be my renewed student visa be valid for?
Your new visa will be renewed from the last day of your visa expiry date; generally the visa will be extended from November 2020 to November 2021. If you are in the final year, this renewal will be only extended up to July 2021 therefore not for the full 12 months.


University of Nottingham Malaysia

Jalan Broga, 43500 Semenyih
Selangor Darul Ehsan

General Enquiry
telephone: +6 03 8924 8000
fax: +6 03 8924 8001 (Malaysia)/8005 (International)

Course Enquiry
telephone: +6 03 8924 8686
Make an enquiry