4. ROL Requirements General:
- Credit transfer or exemption is allowed only if the curriculum mapping of the two programmes is at least 80% in similarity.
- The number of credits for which ROL is being sought must match the credits which will be counted.
- The prior learning has taken place in the last ten years (many schools will, of course, require the learning to have occurred much more recently).
- The student has gained pass marks in those modules or units for which Application of Prior Learning (APL) is being claimed.
- Credit and course exemption from a lower to a higher level of study, i.e. from an accredited or recognised Diploma to the second year of the Honours Degree and Integrated Masters.
- Credit transfer between accredited or recognised programmes of the same level, i.e. from an Honours Degree to another Honours Degree, or from an Integrated Masters to another Integrated Masters.
- Credit transfer or exemption is allowed only for a complete year or level of study. Thus, applicants are not accepted half way through an academic year of a programme.
- Direct entry to second (or third year in exceptional cases) is not possible if an applicant has failed the preceding level of study (e.g. second year entry to an Honours Degree is not possible for applicants who failed their Diploma or their first year of the Honours Degree).
- Exceptional cases where Schools will consider to grant 240 credits (third year entry) are normally for applicants who are already studying in another British University or under a formal arrangement with another institution.
- Credit transfer between accredited or recognised programmes of the same level.
- For credit transfer between accredited or recognised programmes, the normal credits exemption allowable is 80 credits.
- For School of Education, students may apply up to 80 credits towards their masters (180 credits) qualification. However, as this has to be taken against whole modules, for the majority of our provision this will be set against two x 30-credit modules.
- Credits gained through study at the University of Nottingham is not subject to this limitation i.e. maximum 80 credits.
- ROL is not allowed for the postgraduate taught Masters in the Faculty of Science and Engineering.
- Schools may permit up to one year of registration at Nottingham (two years in the case of part-time students) to be replaced by prior study at another institution.
Decisions for all applications will be made by the admitting school, which can request any supporting evidence from the student which it deems necessary to reach a decision. The school may also wish to interview the applicant or may have additional criteria which must also be satisfied.
Once a decision has been made by the school, the applicant would be told in writing by the Admissions Office.